NY State Agriculture and Markets Requirements:
- Dog License renewable yearly and obtained at the local Town Clerk’s office with proof of current rabies vaccination and spay/neuter certificate.
- Any owner of any animal kept outside must provide adequate and appropriate shelter, food, and clean water must be available at all times.
Local Ordinances Violations:
- Dogs unrestrained off own property are considered “Running at large”.
- Habitual howling, barking, crying, whining so as to annoy a person.
- Damage/destruction to property includes urinating/ defecating/digging on another’s property.
- Chase, harass, cause intimidation or reasonable apprehension of bodily harm or injury.
- Non-removal of feces from public or private property other than owner’s.
- Habitually chase, run along side, or bark at motor vehicles, bicycles.
For the protection of pets and the community, any dog found “running at large” may be impounded at the animal shelter by an Animal Control Officer or Police Officer. Impoundment fees are set by the local towns. There are additional fees for each day the dog remains at the shelter. All dogs must have a current rabies vaccination and a valid NY State dog license prior to leaving the facility.
A year round dog census in the Towns of Warwick and Chester is conducted by Animal Control Officers for the purpose of dog licensing. Check with your Town Clerk for dog licensing fees.
Protect your pet and your family by making sure that your pet is wearing an identification tag at all times. A small expense can prevent your pet from being left unclaimed and your family will be spared the sadness when your four-legged family member does not come home. Pet tags are available at local pet stores. Ask your vet about microchip identification.