The Warwick Valley Humane Society, Inc. (WVHS) is a not for profit corporation of the State of New York. Founded in 1954, we have operated the Warwick Animal Shelter since 1968.
The WVHS provides Animal Control Services via contracts with the Towns of Warwick and Chester. Warwick is a 104 square mile town in Southern Orange County that includes the villages of Florida, Greenwood Lake and Pine Island. The town of Chester includes the well known craft village of Sugar Loaf. We contract with the town of Tuxedo as an impoundment facility. Over 50% of our annual income is derived through fundraising.
Our goals are: to return lost pets to their owners, advocate responsible pet ownership and to find good homes for lost, stray and abandoned pets and assist local law enforcement agencies in investigating animal cruelty cases. We admit approximately 350 dogs and 400 cats per year. Our adoption rate for dogs is 98% and 79% for cats.
- To provide a clean, comfortable safe haven for lost, abandoned, unwanted, abused and neglected animals and to properly care for them with medical attention to the injured and ill until these animals are re-united with their families, adopted or appropriately released.
- To assist local, county and state law enforcement agencies in the alleviation and investigation of suspected animal abuse.
- Advocate responsible pet ownership with each adoption, or redemption and through the media (radio, TV, shelter tours etc.)
- To adopt dogs and cats that are spayed/neutered (unless a licensed veterinarian advises against for medical reasons or age), appropriately vaccinated, with dogs tested for heartworm, cats tested for Feline Leukemia and FIV, and kittens tested for Leukemia.
- To have any unsafe animals and animals that are sick, injured or behaviorally beyond professional help, humanely euthanized by a licensed veterinarian.